Updated: Mar 12, 2021
Not a big fan of cold breakfast? You are not the only one. There is something about hot breakfast that is distinctly inviting and is pretty satiating. If you are looking for a hot, satisfying sweet surprise, this porridge is for you. Amaranth is an ancient grain high in protein and fiber. A perfect breakfast material that will keep you full till lunch. Amaranth is high in minerals like iron, manganese, magnesium phosphorus, copper iron, and several micronutrients and antioxidants. Also, some animal studies show, Amaranth has cholesterol-reducing properties. There are many ways of cooking porridge. Dry roasting amaranth before cooking gives a texture to the porridge. You can roast Amaranth ahead of time and store it after cooling it. I preferably cook it in coconut milk, but you can use any milk of your choice to make it.
Preparation time- 5 mins
Cook time- 25 mins
Total time - 30 mins
(Serves - 2)
Amaranth – ½ cup (dry roasted)
Coconut milk (or any plant based milk of your choice)- 2 cups
Date- 4 (chopped)
Cardamom powder – 3 pods
Jaggery powder – As per taste
1. Boil 2 cups of milk in a pot.
2. Add roasted Amaranth to it. Let it simmer for 10 mins. Stir it occasionally.
3. Add chopped apple, date, and cardamom powder.
4. Let it simmer for ten more mins.
5. Add little water if you want soft, soupy consistency
6. Served it with jaggery powder sprinkled on it.