Updated: Mar 2, 2021
It is an easy, healthy recipe and my kids love it. What else reason do I want to make this rice dish more often? Only thing to remember is to keep black chickpeas to soak overnight. Anyway, it's a ritual in my house, soaking one or other beans every night. I mostly cook it for lunch and serve it with yogurt-based chutney or raita. I boil it with a little salt. While cooking black gram, one should take care of its softness. You can say chickpea is cooked perfectly, If you can mash it with your finger. Over boiled beans will break apart, and under boiled will make the dish dry. Adding a handful of mint leaves gives a lovely flavor and a signal to my kids. It's time for lunch.
Preparation time: 20 mins
cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 45 mins
Black chickpea – 1 cup dry (Soaked and boiled with salt).
Basmati (or any long grain rice )- 2 cups
Onion – 1 medium ( finely chopped)
Tomato- 1 medium ( roughly chopped)
Ginger- garlic paste- 1 tbsp.
Green chilly- 1 ( optional)
Mint leaves- 1 bunch
Cinnamon stick- ½ inch
Star anise- 2
Black cumin seeds- ½ tsp
Bay leaf- 1
Asafetida- ¼ tsp
Oil -1 tbsp. (any cold-pressed oil)
1. Clean rice with water. Rinse it 2-3 times. Keep aside.
2. Heat a heavy-based stainless steel pot.
3. Add oil to it. Add black cumin seeds, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, star anise, and asafetida. Stir for few seconds.
4. Add onions to the pot. Sauté it till it turns golden.
5. Add ginger garlic paste. Stir it for a while.
6. Add chopped tomato to it. Add turmeric powder and salt to it.
7. Add boiled chickpea to it. Sauté for a time.
8. Add chopped mint leaves and chili. Sauté for 2-3 mins.
9. Add 3 cups of water, cover the lid, and let it boil.
10. Add rice to it and cover.
11. Let it simmer for 10-12 mins or till the rice is cooked.
12. Switch off the stove and fluff the rice. Make sure rice is not sticking to the bottom.
13. Enjoy it hot.