Updated: 6 days ago
If consumed regularly, finger millets answer many diet-related health problems. This wonder grain is rich in protein, calcium, iron, and antioxidants. (4) (5) It is a prebiotic that boosts good bacteria and helps keep your digestive flora healthy. Finger millets have a low glycemic index (1) (6), which makes them a good choice for diabetic patients. Celiac patients can enjoy it as well, as it is gluten-free. You can substitute it with wheat and rice recipes. This Calcium-rich, wholesome finger millet soup is a winter delight. Adding fresh vegetables like broccoli and moringa leaves increases calcium intake more deliciously and satisfyingly. All veggies contribute a plethora of vitamins, minerals, and essential micronutrients. Of course, you can always choose your veggies according to your taste and availability. This soup is perfectly customizable.
Why include Finger millet in your diet?
Prevents promotion of ulcers (1)
Improves gut health (2)
Maintains weight (1)
Finger millet nutrients : (per 100gm)
Fat/ lipids 1.8
Dietary fiber 15-22.0
Minerals (mg/ 100 g)
Iron 3.3- 14.89
Vitamin A 6.0
Vitamin B1 0.2-0.48
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 35 mins
Millet flour – 2 tbsp.
Onions- 1 medium (chopped)
Carrot- 1 (chopped)
Beans – 5-6 (chopped)
Broccoli- ½ cup – (chopped)
Baby corn- 5-6
Green peas – ½ cup (fresh/frozen)
Moringa leaves – 1 cup
Moringa powder - 1 tbsp
Coriander leaves/Cilantro - A handful
Turmeric- ¼ tsp
Black pepper- ¼ tsp (freshly crushed)
Salt- as per taste
1. Heat a heavy-based stainless-steel pot. Add onions to it.
2. Add 1 tbsp. Water. Sauté onions for 2-3 mins till it turns translucent. Add little water at a time if needed.
3. Add beans to the pot. Sauté green beans for two mins.
4. Add all the veggies. Sauté for 2 mins.
5. Add turmeric, black pepper, and salt.
6. Add 4 cups of water. Let it boil for 10 mins.
7. Take ½ cup of water. Add 2 tbsp of Finger millet flour. Make a slurry.
8. Add the slurry to the pot. Let it simmer for 10 Min.
9. Add cilantro and serve.
Harnessing Finger Millet to Combat Calcium Deficiency in Humans: Challenges and Prospects - PubMed (nih.gov)