Khichdi is a one-pot soulful wholesome meal. Ayurveda has a lot to say about this fantastic dish. This soupy hot dish calms and clears your mind. As a kid, this tremendous dish was served to me almost every Saturday, even in my hostel days. I try my best to continue this tradition. Khichdi is one dish that will mellow you down and feed your soul. One of my favorite comfort food. The best part of this dish is it's effortless and quick to prepare (need to clean fewer dishes after mealtime). Khichdi is one food I would like to teach my kids before they join college. I use the pressure cooker to make this; You can always use a heavy bottom pot. Khichdi made in clay pots tastes the best. There are a variety of ways you can make khichdi; you can never go wrong with it. You can add any number of veggies choice. It is totally customizable.
Preparation time : 10 mins
cook time : 25 mins
Total time : 35 mins
Split moong – ½ cup
Small grain rice- ½ cup
Green beans- ½ cup (chopped)
Carrots – ½ cup
Green peas – ½ cup Fresh or frozen
Onion – 1 medium (chopped)
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Salt – to taste
Garam masala powder – ½ tsp ( optional)
Cilantro- small bunch( washed thoroughly and chopped)
1. Heat a pot and dry roast split moong till golden as aroma comes. Take it out in a dish and rinse it. Rinse rice as well.
2. Heat the pressure cooker, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds to it. Allow it to
3. Add a bay leaf and asafetida. Stir it for 2-3 sec.
4. Add chopped onions to it. Add 1 Tbsp. water and sauté the onions till golden brown.
Add little water at a time if needed.
5. Add salt and turmeric.
6. Add rinsed moong and rice to the pot and stir it well
7. Add 3 cups of water and let it boil on a medium flame.
8. Add all the veggies. Cover the pot. If you are using the pressure cooker, wait for a
whistle. Switch it off after one whistle. If you are using a pot, it mostly takes 20 – 30
mins to cook correctly. Khichdi should be of a soft soupy consistency; add water in
case you need it.
9. Add garam masala—Cook for five more mins.
10. Garnish it with cilantro leaves.