Spinach Corn Curry
Updated: Jan 8
Spinach and corn are one of the most loved cooking combinations worldwide. Something about its texture, taste, and appearance is so enticing. Besides, both spinach and sweet corn are high in nutrient content. Spinach is one of the most nutrient-dense leafy vegetables rich in fiber, protein, iron, folate, vitamins, minerals, and polyphenols and is suitable for overall health. Sweet corn has high fiber, resistant starch, Vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients. This sweet corn spinach curry is one of my preferred comfort foods. Traditionally, sweet corn spinach curry is made with ghee or butter to acquire a rich taste. I am cooking this delicious curry without using any oil. The richness of the curry comes with the vegetable itself. It is always a good idea to cook spinach to eliminate excessive oxalate. I am blanching the spinach and making a puree with herbs and spices for a lovely flavor. I am using baby spinach. You can use any kind. When it comes to sweet corn, you must use your judgment for cooking it. You do not need to cook if you start with fresh and tender sweet corn in season. For harder ones, you must increase the cooking time. I am using frozen sweet corn to make this recipe. I am boiling it for 5 mins.
Serves – 3-4
Preparation time – 15 mins
Cook time- 20 mins
Total time – 35 mins
Sweetcorn- 1 cup (boiled)
Ginger – 1 inch
Garlic – 2 pods
Green chilies- 2
Cilantro/Green coriander- 1 bunch
Onions – 1 medium
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Wheat flour- 1 Tbsp
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Garam masala powder- 2 tsp
Salt- as per taste
1. Boil about 2 quarts of water in a pot. Add spinach to it and blanch it for 1 min. Strain the water out.
2. Add blanched spinach, ginger, garlic, chilies, and cilantro to the blender. Blend it to a puree consistency.
3. Heat a heavy-based stainless-steel pot on medium heat. Add cumin to it. Let it splutter for 30 sec.
4. Add onions to the pot. Add 1 tbsp water. Sauté onions till it turns golden brown. It will take 5-6 mins. Add water 1 tbsp at a time if needed.
5. Add spinach puree to the pot. Stir it nicely.
6. Add boiled sweet corn. Add spices and salt to it. Mix it nicely.
7. Add wheat flour. Please give it a nice stir and cover it for 10 mins. Then, let the curry amalgamate have a lovely flavor altogether.
8. Enjoy it hot.