I'm always looking for healthy meal options that are both delicious and satisfying. Recently, I've started including millet in my daily diet because of the many benefits it offers my body. With so many varieties of millet to choose from, I can't help but be fascinated by their numerous positive effects. My idea was to make a millet wrap with a satisfying yummy filling inside, and this recipe was spot on. My recipe combines Whole wheat flour and finger millet flour to create a wrap filled with scrambled tofu with tender spinach greens grilled to perfection in a panini maker. It's a simple way to incorporate finger millet into your diet. I find finger millet a great addition to my diet due to its numerous health benefits(3). For starters, finger millet is packed with proteins, fibers, iron, calcium, potassium, B vitamins, polyphenols, and antioxidants that can positively impact your body. Specifically, the B vitamins can help improve brain function, reduce fatigue, and promote overall well-being. I also added flax seed flour to the wrap, which provides an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, as well as protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Flax seeds are also known to contain lignans that may protect our bodies against hormone-sensitive cancers, and their nutty flavor adds a nice touch to the dish.
Did you know that combining spinach and tofu can be a great way to boost your bone health? This is because both ingredients are high in calcium, essential for strong and healthy bones. Spinach and tofu make an excellent pair for filling. This tasty and nutritious combination can be used as a filling for various dishes, such as wraps, sandwiches, and salads. I made a spinach tofu scramble with onions, herbs, and spices. I added a hint of spice and a squeeze of lemon juice to enhance the flavor.
You can be creative and customize the recipe as per your taste. sauté some spinach and tofu with your favorite seasonings and spices, and you'll have a delicious and healthy filling packed with protein, fiber, and other essential nutrients. Try it and see how it can enhance your meals’ flavor and nutritional value.
Preparation time:15 mins
Cooking time - 45 mins
Total Time - 60 mins
Whole wheat flour – 1 cup
Finger millet flour – ¼ cup
Flax seed powder- 1 tbsp
Oil- 1 tbsp
Carom seeds- ½ tsp
Salt- As per taste
Tofu- 4 oz (extra firm) water squeezed out
Spinach – 8 oz
Onion – 1 medium (chopped)
Ginger -garlic paste -1 tbsp
Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
Red chilly powder- 1/2 tsp (optional)
Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
Oil- 1 tbsp
Lemon juice – 1 tbsp (or as per taste)
1. Add wheat flour, Finger millet flour, Flax seed powder, carom seeds, asafetida, salt, and oil in a bowl. Add half a cup of water and knead to make a smooth dough.
2. Cover the dough with the lid and keep it aside for 20 mins. Meanwhile, Heat a heavy-based stainless-steel pot. Add 1 tbsp oil to the pot. Add cumin seeds and asafetida to it and let it splutter.
3. Add chopped onion and sauté for 5 mins. Add ginger garlic paste and sauté for a minute.
4. Add the spices, salt, and sauté for 2-3 mins. Add spinach, sauté it, and let the water evaporate. Stir it occasionally.
5. Add crumbled tofu and mix it uniformly. Let the filling cool for 10 mins. Add lemon juice and adjust the seasoning.
6. Make six equal parts of the dough. Roll the dough with the help of rolling pins or a tortilla maker and cook it on a girdle.
7. Divide your fillings into six equal parts. Put spinach tofu filling in the center of your wrap and fold it as shown in the picture.
8. Grill it in the panini /sandwich maker or grill both sides on a girdle. Serve it with your favorite dip or chutney.
Nutritional Aspects of Bone Health and Fracture Healing - PMC (nih.gov)