Updated: Nov 14
In today's fast-paced world, where time is of the essence, we often yearn for healthy, easy-to-prepare meals that nourish our bodies and tantalize our taste buds. Look no further if you're searching for a customizable and easy one-pot recipe that caters to your health and taste preferences. "Wholesome Adzuki Bean and Foxtail Millet Salad Bowl" is the perfect culinary solution, offering a symphony of flavors, nutrients, and convenience.
This salad bowl is not just a salad; it's a culinary experience encompassing a wide range of textures and flavors. Adzuki beans in the salad are a fantastic source of plant-based protein, providing essential amino acids while being low in fat. They contribute to muscle health and repair. Foxtail millet is a high-fiber grain that aids digestion, maintains stable blood sugar levels, and helps manage weight. The salad mix greens offer a plethora of vitamins and minerals, including vitamins A, C, and K, as well as iron and calcium, promoting overall health and well-being. Including avocado, broccoli, cherry tomatoes, and pomegranate seeds adds vitamins, antioxidants, and dietary fiber, supporting cardiovascular health and boosting your immune system. The corn and millet provide complex carbohydrates for sustained energy levels throughout the day. Dressing includes heart-healthy monounsaturated fats from olive oil and avocados, which are associated with a reduced risk of heart disease. This salad is easily customizable to suit individual preferences and dietary restrictions. Plus, it's low in calories, making it an excellent choice for weight management. With the added convenience of one-pot preparation, you can savor the taste of a healthy, hearty meal without compromising your precious time. Feel free to customize the ingredients to your liking, making it your creation.
This recipe serves 4-5 people and can be prepared in 30 minutes (excluding the soaking time) – making it an ideal choice for busy individuals and families. So, let's embark on a culinary journey where we explore the ingredients, step-by-step instructions, and the delectable dressing that brings it all together.
For the Salad:
Adzuki beans - ½ cup
Foxtail millet - ½ cup
Salad mix greens - 4 cups ( any salad mix of your choice)
Corn - 1 cup (frozen)
Avocado - 1 (chopped)
Broccoli - 1 head (cut into small florets)
Cherry tomatoes - 10-15 (cut in half)
Pomegranate seeds - 1 cup
Sunflower seeds - ¼ cup
Cucumber - 1 (chopped)
Cilantro/Coriander leaves - 1 small bunch (chopped)
Cumin seeds - ½ tsp (optional)
Bay leaf - 1(optional)
Cayenne pepper - ½ tsp (optional)
Salt - as per taste
For the Dressing:
Balsamic vinegar: ¼ cup
Olive oil - 2 Tbsp
Honey - 1 tbsp
Black Pepper - ½ tsp (ground)
Garlic - 2 pods (Finely chopped)
Salt - 1
Water - ½ cup
1. Begin by soaking the Adzuki beans and Foxtail millet in water for at least 8 hours or overnight. This ensures they become tender and cook faster.
2. place the soaked Adzuki beans in the lowermost pan in a stackable steamer. Add 1 cup of water, cayenne pepper, turmeric powder, and salt. This will be the base of our flavorful salad.
3. add ¾ cup of water in the middle pan, soaked Foxtail millet, cumin seeds, bay leaf (optional), and salt. These aromatic additions infuse the millet with a delightful flavor.
4. In the upper pan, spread the frozen corn evenly. Sprinkle some crushed black pepper. The steam will cook the corn to perfection.
5. Pour 1 ½ cups of water into the Instant Pot. Place the stackable pans inside using the sling provided. Seal the Instant Pot and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. After cooking, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes before manually releasing the remaining pressure.
6. While cooking ingredients, create the dressing. In a mason jar, combine finely chopped garlic, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, honey, black pepper, salt, and water. Shake well until the dressing is thoroughly mixed.
7. Open the Instant Pot, unstack the pans, and remove the bay leaf from the cooked millet. Strain any excess water from the beans. In a large bowl, assemble the salad mix greens, cooked Adzuki beans, Foxtail millet, corn, chopped avocado, broccoli florets, cherry tomatoes, pomegranate seeds, sunflower seeds, and cucumber.
8. Drizzle the prepared dressing over the salad, ensuring every ingredient is lightly coated.
(P.S. You can store the cooked millet and salad dressing in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When you are ready to eat, chop up some vegetables and enjoy your salad.)