Updated: Jun 1
Ayurveda says that food appealing to your eyes positively impacts your body. Likewise, modern science advocates adding colors to your plate for its benefits. I am making an easy delicious, nutritious tofu bell pepper stir-fry to add plant-based proteins while incorporating colorful bell peppers for your quick-fix meal. This stir-fry is an incredibly delicious and healthy dish using tofu as a protein source and bell peppers as a crunch component. You'll enjoy this tofu bell pepper stir-fry for its bold flavors and satisfying texture. The dish is delicious over rice or noodles besides can be used as your wrap filling. This dish is perfectly customizable. Add vegetables like broccoli, carrots, beans, or other bell peppers. So make your rainbow and enjoy the shower of your version of tasty stir fry. I am using low-sodium soy sauce and gochujang sauce to flavor it. You can find both sauces in the Asian section of your grocery store or any Asian grocery store nearby. Tofu bell pepper stir-fry will become a favorite in your meal rotation. It is a quick and delicious weeknight dinner recipe with the right balance of flavors (a touch of umami and sweetness) and simplicity.
Preparation time- 10 mins
Cooking time- 15 mins
Total time- 25 mins
Extra firm Tofu- 8 oz
Green bell pepper – 1 (sliced)
Red bell pepper- 1 (sliced)
yellow bell pepper – 1 (sliced)
Onion- 1 (sliced
Garlic- 4-5 pods (sliced lengthwise)
Ginger – 1 inch (sliced lengthwise)
Black pepper- 1 tsp (Crushed)
Gochujang sauce – 1 Tbsp.
Soya sauce- 1 tbsp (low sodium)
Salt – as per taste
Peanut oil/sesame oil- 1 tbsp
Sesame seeds – 1 tbsp (roasted)
Drain the tofu block and gently press it between paper and kitchen towels to remove excess moisture. Next, cut the tofu into bite-size cubes.
2. Add the tofu to a nonstick pan without adding oil. Cook it on both sides for 5-7 mins until it turns golden brown. Keep it aside.
3. In a large Wok, add the oil and heat it over medium heat. Add the sliced onions. Saute it for a few mins until the onions become translucent. Now add sliced ginger and garlic and saute it for 2 mins.
4. Add salt and pepper; stir it nicely. Next, add soy sauce and gochujang sauce and mix it. Finally, add Sliced bell peppers and cook them for about 4-5 mins, or till they are slightly tender but still crisp.
5. Add Tofu to the skillet. Stir everything together to coat the tofu and vegetables evenly. Cook additional 5 mins to combine the flavors evenly. Adjust the seasoning.
6. Remove the skillet from the heat and garnish the stir fry with roasted sesame seeds. Enjoy it with boiled rice or noodles.
(Tip- Add less salt at first as soy sauce also contains some amount of salt)