Updated: Oct 10, 2022
Green beans, The beautiful green color of the vegetable suggests it deserves to be on your plate. Fresh, delicate beans are the perfect vegetable for stir-fries. Green beans are a nutritious vegetable that is low in calories and are used in kitchens worldwide. Despite being low in calories, green beans contain various essential nutrients that promote several health benefits. Green beans contain a good amount of fiber vital for gut and heart health. It is rich in folate and B vitamins. There are several antioxidants in green beans, including vitamin C, flavonols, quercetin, and kaempferol. As a result of these antioxidants, free radical damage is reduced in the body, resulting in a reduced risk of certain health conditions.
My favorite way to cook green beans is with tofu. Both Tofu and beans are good sources of plant-based proteins. Tofu is high in fiber, vitamin B, and minerals like iron, potassium, magnesium, selenium, zinc, and copper. This protein-rich, low-oil side dish is easy to make. I have roasted tofu pieces in the oven, but you can also roast them on the stovetop as desired. I stir-fried my beans directly to keep them crunchy. It is advisable to blanch beans for 4-5 minutes if you would like them to be softer.
Preparation time:20 mins.
Cook time: 25 mins.
Total time: 45 mins.
Tofu – 7 oz (extra firm)
String beans- 7 oz (ends trimmed)
Spring onions- ¼ cup
Garlic- 3 pods (grated)
Ginger – 1 inch (grated)
Coconut sugar – 1 tbs
Tamari/ soya sauce- 1½ Tbsp
Chilli flakes – 1 tsp
black pepper - 4-5 (ground)
Peanut/sesame oil – 1 tbsp
Roasted peanut – 2 tbsp (crushed)
Roasted sesame seed – 1 Tbsp
1. Pat dry Tofu with a kitchen towel to remove excess water.
Cut Tofu into bite-size pieces.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Slightly grease the baking pan and place tofu in a single layer.
3. Roast till 10mins; remove it from the oven, flip the tofu over, and again roast the tofu for another 10 mins. Our tofu is done.
4. Heat a pan and add oil to it. Add grated ginger and garlic to it. Stir it for 30 secs.
5. Add beans to it. Stir it and cover it for 10 mins. Let the beans cook in their own steam. Occasionally stir it in between. If it gets stuck to the bottom, Add 1-2 Tbsp of water.
6. Mix Tamari, chili flakes, salt, black pepper, and coconut sugar. Add the mixture to the pan. Give it a nice stir.
7. Add roasted Tofu to the pan. Stir it.
8. Cover the pan for 8-10 mins. Occasionally stir it in between.
9. Add Roasted peanuts and sesame seeds.
10. Garnish it with chopped spring onions.
11. Enjoy :)