Almost everything is in full swing for the festive season. Whenever there is a festival, dessert is a must-have. They contribute significantly to the festive spirit. I am making Mediterranean Halva this festive season using date, tahini, and pistachio as their main ingredients. Traditionally, Halva is made using milk and sugar. My recipe is dairy, sugar, and oil/butter free yet delicious. This sweet recipe will surely lift your festive spirits, whether you share it with friends and family members or just for yourself. Best of all, you don't have to spend hours making them. Halva is filled with B vitamins, E vitamins, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, zinc, and selenium, as well as antioxidants. No wonder, Halva is also known as the oldest food supplement in the world due to its high mineral content, fatty acids, fiber, proteins, and amino acids. Due to its calorific value, sesame and date provide a long-lasting and nutritious energy source and are believed to rejuvenate the body's cells. Tahini contains copper that has the property to delay signs of aging. Due to copper's role in melanin production, it slows graying of hair too. Both Date and tahini boost bone health. This may help in conditions like Rheumatoid arthritis and Osteoporosis.
Makes – 16
Cooking mins- 5 mins
Rest time – 10 mins
Processing time – 5 mins
Total time – 20 mins
Almond flour – 1 cup
Pistachio - 1/3 cup
Tahini/ roasted sesame paste- 3/4 cup
Date – 17-18
Cardamom- 12 (ground)
Vanilla essence- 2 tsp
On a low flame, toast almond flour in a heavy-bottomed stainless-steel pan for 5 mins. Or till it turns golden. Stir the flour every few seconds and refrain from getting burnt.
2. Rest the flour for 10 mins or until it reaches room temperature.
3. Add all the ingredients to a food processor. Process it for a min.
4. Line the base/tray with parchment paper.
5. With the help of a spatula, press down the mixture and give it a rectangular shape. Sprinkle some crushed pistachio
6. Cut the halva in the desired shape.
1. Some people are allergic to nuts and seeds.
2. This halva is nutrient-dense and calorie-dense, so don't overindulge.